Elderberry Syrup for Immune Function Support
Elderberry syrup can help the immune system halt enzymes that spread viruses in our body’s cells! It can even decrease the severity of symptoms. I use 1 tablespoon a few times a week for “maintenance” and daily, several times a day if I have a cold or flu. Our children use 1 teaspoon.
I researched a few recipes and determined that you can’t go too wrong; it’s pretty hard to mess it up! 😉
You can prepare it on the stove or in a pressure cooker. I used an InstantPot so feel free to modify your process as necessary.
- 2/3 cup dried black elderberries (about 3 ounces)
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 2 Tablespoons fresh or dried ginger root
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves or clove powder
- Orange Vitality essential oil
- Thieves Vitality essential oil
- 1 cup raw honey (we get from our local bee farmer; leave out for children under age 1)
- Add elderberries, water, and all other ingredients except essential oils and honey to the pressure cooker pot and stir. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. When cooking is complete, use a natural release.
- Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the pot’s contents into the strainer. Press on the elderberries to remove all of the juice. Discard the elderberries.
- Allow the juice to cool completely then whisk in 5 drops Orange essential oil ad ¾ cup honey. Add more honey to taste. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in mason jars with a pourable lid. Can also be frozen if longer storage is needed.
When you serve it, use 1 drop Thieves Vitality essential oil for family members who don’t mind the additional “spicy” flavor. One friend uses about 20 drops in her cooled recipe when she is making a large batch (about 1 gallon). (Thanks, Megan Collier!)
Orange and Thieves Vitality essential oils also many be beneficial for our immune systems. *
Orange Vitality essential oil includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene; Thieves Vitality essential oil is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils. It has a warm, spicy flavor that you’ll love. Plus, the Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil in Thieves Vitality may help support respiratory health when taken internally.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease.